Thursday, July 19, 2012

Best Part of Today



I am not sure how many days has passed to reach that 21 days rule before I can break my child's behavior.  One of the ceramic artists at my studio told me that in order for a person to change a behavior,  he or she has to be at it for at least 21 days.

It's not 21 days yet because I came back to the states in the end of June.  So 19th day as of today.  Ever since we came back from our Taiwan trip, Ev has been having a terrible time sleeping.  Either myself or Leo has to stay in the room with Ev until he falls asleep before we can leave the room.  It could be one hour or two hours.  It is horrible.   The even more horrible part is that Ev wakes up at 3 a.m. and we have to start the routine again.

I have called the pediatrician many times trying to get some guidances.  However, it seems to me that the child will break the parents before we can break him.  The reason I am able to blog now at 8 p.m. because Leo came home earlier than normal and he is now sitting in Ev's room, in the dark, and waiting for him to fall asleep.  It has been 1 hour now.  

According to the pediatrician, children treat their parents differently than to others because they know that the parents will never leave them and will give them unconditional love.  Hence, my nanny has no trouble putting him to sleep.

Apartment Therapy has this wonderful article about 10 things that will make you happier at home. One of the point is to start a gratitude journal.  Ask yourself what was the best part of today.  Here it is for me,

1.  Leo came home earlier so I don't have to sit in the dark for 1 hour while waiting for Ev to fall asleep.
2.  Sitting at a coffee shop alone for 10 minutes before I came home for Ev;
3.  Playing with Ev after I came home.  This one is the best!!

Sorry,  I had 3 things instead of 1.  But I am grateful!  




No comments: